Viennese Escargots – Gugumuck

Slider

The Gugumucks

The Gugumuck Farm

This place goes way back. Records of the Gugumuck Farm in Rothneusiedl say 1720. However, the farm has probably been in the family for even longer, but a fire in the Oberlaa church during the Turkish siege of Vienna destroyed valuable early historical documents and records.

The name Gugumuck comes from the Proto-Germanic and means “powerful and laughing”.

In 1892: Great-grandfather Johann Gugumuck on the far left.

TĂĽrkenkugel am Taubenkobel

A dovecot with a real Turkish cannonball at the apex of its roof stood on the farm until 1954. Today, this is the site of the new manufactory. The cannonball still graces the gable of the modern timber building.

Selling vegetables at the Hay Market

The Gugumuck family has farmed their land for a great number of generations. Johann Gugumuck (born 1875) cultivated vegetables and kept a large livestock stall, helped by his wife and five children. Twice a week, the farming family drove their horse-drawn carriage to the Hay Market, which is still named Heumarkt in German and is today part of Vienna’s third district.  This is where they sold their fresh vegetables.

 

The Gugumuck’s selling soup veggies at the Hay Marketin 1925.

Johann took over the farm

After the death of his father, Johann, the first-born son, took over the Gugumuck farm and devoted himself to his special passion – botany.

The Pioneering Spirit of the Family

Johann was an early pioneer of gentle agricultural methods, rejecting the use of chemical sprays. He grew yellow peonies, yellow lilacs, and fig trees, as well as using grafting techniques to grow five different varieties of apples on a single tree. He received an award for his parsley root from the International Garden Show more than once: Silver in 1964 and bronze in 1974. He became quite renowned for a special variety of potato named Sieglinde. After his death, his wife Leopoldine continued to run the farm, although on a smaller scale.